Scientific and Technological Inventions
Inventions make the world go around. These days we don't think about candles or cooking pots as technology but at one time these simple tools were the science of the time and undoubtedly all the rage and in high demand.
The earliest direct evidence of tool usage was discovered in the Great Rift Valley of Ethiopia. The tools found there date back to 2.5 million years ago.
The term technology developed as a process of discovery combined with evolution. Technology is the result of science and engineering and includes tools, machinery, procedures, crafts, systems and methods of organization that solve a problem or perform a specific function to help humans and some animal species to manipulate natural environments. Some primates and dolphin species are known to have developed simple tools and pass the knowledge to other members of their communities.
Chimpanzees have been recorded using tools for foraging for food. West African chimpanzees have been seen using stone hammers to crack nuts. Other primitive tools include leaf sponges and sticks for probing termite mounds.
The first human made implements were from available natural resources converted into simple tools primarily in the form of choppers or scrapers. Bones, antlers and wood tools were used to scrape animal hides, and the mineral flint was used to make spears and arrow heads. Rocks were used for pounding food items such as acorns into meal for cooking.
Things Invented in the Name of Progress
Science knowledge and critical thinking are very important skills for children to learn. These images represent just a teensy amount of these inventions designed to make our lives easier.
Who Are The Inventors?
The common thread for creativity is education, access and opportunity, not race or ethnicity.
Inventions are often spurred by necessity. The fingernal clipper, screw driver, hammer, gas gauge, hair brush, door knob, are all inventions to help people groom ourselves and build houses and drive cars and trucks.
- Inventors of hard soap, kerosene, the algorithm, distilled alcohol, natural selection, the syringe, guitar among hundreds more...were brought about by inventors from the Medieval Islamic world
- Australia's black Leonardo, an aboriginal inventor from Australia.
- Polynesians invented binary math!
- Let's not forget inventions by my favorite ancestors, the Neanderthals who invent tar to help strengthen and waterproof bindings made of sinew, hide, or plant fibers to attach bone or stone tools to handles.
- Indigenous American inventors and innovations
- Asian inventors Chinese_inventions - Credit China for the Drilling rig: The technique of percussion drilling for oil and gas.
- List of black American inventors
- Here's a comprehensive list of Inventors by ethnicity
What thing would you invent to help others?